I have an addiction to Asian dishes. I love when they are full of veggies and served with brown rice. My favorite restaurant in town serves very good food, but we’re trying to cut back on how much we spend and eat out of the house. My friend Val pinned this recipe on Pinterest and I suddenly had the urge for take-out, but opted to try this instead because we got a new wok as a wedding gift!
The meal was a little too salty for my liking, but Cro-Magnon liked it, so that’s a plus. He rarely chooses Asian food. I’m excited to play around with more ingredients and vegetables to see what type of flavors I can create in the kitchen. I think this recipe would be an easy one to adapt for camping, too! See my suggestions at the bottom of the recipe.
Beef with Broccoli
Beef Marinade Ingredients:
(marinate the beef for 1 hour in the fridge before cooking)
1.5 lbs skirt or flank steak, cut into thin strips
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp water
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp flour
3 tbsp coconut oil
3 heads broccoli, crowns only
- BEEF MARINADE: Whisk together all ingredients in a bowl. Toss the steak into the marinade to coat. Cover the steak and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- WHEN READY TO COOK: In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, brown sugar, flour, and garlic until smooth and all sugar has dissolved. Set aside.
- In a wok or large pan, heat 2 tbsp of coconut oil over medium-high heat until it begins to shimmer. Add broccoli, stir frequently, and saute for about 3-4 minutes. Put cooked broccoli on a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining tbsp of oil to the pan. Add the marinated meat and half of the sauce mixture. Saute for 4-5 minutes, stirring often. Cook until the meat is no longer pink.
- Stir in the remaining sauce mixture and broccoli. Saute 1-2 more minutes and serve.
For a camping-friendly version, here are my suggestions of what I would do:
- Marinate meat according to the direction above and place in a gallon zip-loc bag.
- Cut broccoli ahead of time and put in a storage container or bag.
- Mix together ingredients for sauce (soy sauce, brown sugar, flour, and garlic) and place in leak-proof storage container or bag.
- Take oil jar/bottle with you in cooler or food box.
- Make rice ahead of time and place in a storage container or bag.
- Place the meat, sauce, rice, and broccoli in the cooler.
- When ready for dinner, warm rice in a pan on the fire (or in a dutch oven on coals) and then follow steps 2-5 above!