What a year it has been! At this time last summer our North Texas Kids Outside team was beginning to plan the camping trips we would take with 16 families. We would take families camping during Texas Outdoor Family workshops at state parks near DFW.
|Lake Mineral Wells Workshop – November 11-12, 2012
Can you tell we had fun??
These are some of things we’ve accomplished since the 2012 Outdoor Nation Austin Summit:
- Spent over 150 hours outside
- Served 83 people, with 64% being Millenials under the age of 28
- Held 5 events at 3 different state parks
- Made new friendships with group members and the families
- Learned how to cook over an open flame for 20-25 people (I’m pretty proud of this because my skills in the kitchen are less than awesome)
- Became novice rock climbers, fishermen and women, kayakers, geocachers, and dutch oven masters!
- Gained a greater appreciation for the outdoors and its positive effect on our mood, health, and interest in going on more adventures in our neighborhood and the world at large!